Sunday, December 9, 2012

Turnin' the Corner


The first four photos in this post are about 6 weeks old...I'm about as fast at blogging as I am at building this wall.


This is the final height of the wall across the back of the property.
 

The curve...this was by far the most difficult part of the wall. I had to dig down and stair-step the wall because the property elevation drops as you move away from the back fence.


Getting each terrace to be level and at the right height compared to the blocks above and below it took 3 or 4 hours. That doesn't count the time I spent repairing the sprinkler line that I busted while digging out the foundation.


This is where my original plan changed the most. Instead of curving the retaining wall back into the fence before reaching that small tree, I decided to bring the wall all the way to the drive way. I borrowed a large roto-tiller from my neighbor Jackie, and this made the process much faster!


Yesterday Austin and I spent 4-5 hours working on the wall. He helped remind me that we needed to take breaks to swing, play baseball, and eat snacks. The wall will be low along this side, more of an aesthetic barrier than a retainer.


What a team!

1 comment:

  1. Are you trying to get this done by Christmas? It looks great!
    MOM

    ReplyDelete